Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

C-27 aircraft picking up Greeks evacuated from Sudan at Djibouti

A C-27 transport plane of the Hellenic Air Force lifted off the airport of Aswan, Egypt for Djibouti on Tuesday to pick up Greeks evacuated from Sudan.

The aircraft is the second one this day to transport Greeks from Sudan, where internal fighting continues for the second week. A ceasefire allowed the evacuation.

Earlier in the day, another C-27 brought 17 individuals to Greece, as evacuation efforts for Greeks continue under the coordination of the Greek Foreign Ministry.

According to diplomatic sources, 43 citizens of Greek interest have been rescued from Khartoum up until now, not including the 17 arriving who arrived in Greece on Tuesday morning and another 7 arriving in Egypt by car during the day. Two evacuees are injured, one of them seriously.

Seventeen individuals (13 Greeks and 4 members of Greek families) among them three children and an injured man that has undergone surgery to his legs, arrived at the 112 Battle Squadron at Air Force’s airport of Elefsina on Tuesday at 10:30.

The mission was welcomed Deputy Foreign Minister responsible for Greeks Abroad Andreas Katsaniotis and the Chief of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff General Konstantinos Floros.










The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced the evacuation of ten more Greeks from Sudan Tuesday.

The ten boarded German planes and have arrived in Amman, Jordan.

“Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias expressed his warm thanks to his German counterpart, Annalena Baerbock, for her country’s aid to the efforts to evacuate (Greeks) from Sudan,” the ministry announcement says, adding that efforts to evacuate others continue “in close coordination with our EU partners and our allies.”

It was announced earlier Tuesday that seven more Greeks, two of them in need of medical treatment had left Sudan by road, arriving in Aswan, Egypt. A total of 43 had been evacuated by Tuesday afternoon, with at least 80 more still stranded in the capital Khartoum, while fighting between two military factions continues despite a truce brokered by Saudi Arabia and the US.