Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Thousands of football fans urged to get tested after positive COVID-19 case attended AFL match at the MCG

One of the infected people in a growing coronavirus cluster in Melbourne’s north attended an AFL match on the weekend, prompting a government health warning.

While the outbreak started in the northern suburbs, country Bendigo and Port Melbourne now feature among 43 exposure sites listed on the state health department’s website – well up on Tuesday’s 10.

The infected fan was at the Collingwood-Port Adelaide game at the MCG on Sunday 23 May, sitting in Zone 4, Level 1 of the Great Southern Stand at the Punt Road end.

Spectators who sat in the same area are being contacted by Victoria’s Health Department using data from tickets and QR codes. They will have to get tested and isolate until they test negative.

Others who sat in the surrounding area are being told to go for testing if they develop symptoms.

“Further reviews of CCTV footage will be undertaken to determine if the advice to test and isolate will be broadened beyond these areas,” the department said in a tweet early on Wednesday morning.

Authorities sought to reassure people who attended the gaming, saying the AFL and MCC had “prepared for this situation in multiple simulations.”

Virus spreading beyond Whittlesea

While COVID-19 restrictions were ramped up in Melbourne on Tuesday, more could be on the way as authorities struggle to rein in the outbreak, which started at Whittlesea in the city’s north.

The 43 exposure sites now include tier one locations in Coburg and Fitzroy, as well as Port Melbourne.

A bar at inner-suburban Prahran also posted on social media that it is now listed as a tier 1b exposure site.

The growing number of exposure sites and their locations show the virus potentially spreading well beyond Whittlesea and surrounding areas.

The cluster has grown to nine cases after four new infections – all household family contacts of a man in his 60s – were confirmed on Tuesday afternoon.

Victoria Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton warned there may be further cases in the next 24 hours, with 84 of 168 primary close contacts testing negative so far.

“We have to chase down every single close contact … but it’s certainly not out of control,” he told ABC Radio Melbourne.

In response to the unfolding outbreak, home gatherings are now limited to five visitors per day and public gatherings restricted to 30 people until at least 4 June.

Masks are mandatory indoors for people 12 and over, but can be taken off for eating, drinking and exercise.

Schools and workplaces remain open, as are shops, cafes, restaurants and pubs and existing density limits apply.

The restrictions apply to Greater Melbourne, or people travelling into regional Victoria.

“This is about giving our contact tracers the time that they need to track this matter down and get on top of it,” Acting Premier James Merlino said.

A public health advisory panel will soon decide if further restrictions are needed for large events including AFL games and the RISING festival, which is due to begin on Wednesday.

The Western Bulldogs have already had their weekly preparations interrupted, with the AFL club’s players and staff forced into isolation after an employee attended an exposure site.

Pending negative test results being received overnight on Tuesday, the Bulldogs expected players and staff to return to training on Wednesday.

Outbreak linked to man who contracted virus in hotel quarantine

Genomic sequencing shows the outbreak is linked to the case of a Wollert man, who contracted the virus in South Australian quarantine earlier this month.

The man, in his 60s, could be the possible “source case” for the City of Whittlesea outbreak, although a definitive link is yet to be established.

Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia have all significantly tightened their borders to Victoria while stopping short of completely slamming them shut for most travellers.